Thursday, October 6, 2011

D.I.Y Drink For Cough And Phlegm

Gwen's cough has recovered but sometimes I could hear her trying very hard to clear her throat especially in the mornings.

Although I don't hear anymore chesty sound, I guess her body must be very heaty and there might be just a little bit of thick phlegm lodge in her throat.

I googled for this recipe many months ago. The recipe needs some Chinese herbs that I could not find it here in Jakarta. The main components are Chuan Pei(川贝) and chinese almonds (南北杏).

This recipe is supposed to nourish the lungs, eliminate phlegm and relieve coughs (dry cough or wind-heat cough or chronic cough).

Pear with Chinese Almond (南北杏) and Chuan Bei (川贝) Drink

Ingredients (serve 2 cups)

1) 1 Pear (梨)
2) 1 Chinese tablespoon chuan pei mu (Bulbus Fritillariae Cirrhosae, 川贝母) (about 1/3 liang, or 13 grams)
3) 1½ Chinese tablespoon north almonds (北杏)
4) 1½ Chinese tablespoon south almonds (南杏)
5) 1 Chinese tablespoon rock sugar
6) 3 bowls water

Method

1. Remove the skin of the pear and the core. Cut in quarters.
2. Wash the almonds.
3. Wash the Chuan Pei, and lightly crush it with stone pestle or anything hard (like the handle of your cleaver).
4. Put all ingredients in pot with water, and bring to boil.
5. Once boiled, lower to small fire and simmer for 1 hour (very low heat to prevent drying up of contents).
6. Sieve and drink the water. (about 1 ½ bowls left)

Note : I used a ceramic jar and double boiled it in a big pot of water for almost 3 hours. Also the chuan pei I used was crushed till a powdery form. I put one packet of chuan pei which has been weighed and it was measured according to Gwen's age.

I finally bought the chuan pei and chinese almonds from Eu Yan Sang last weekend when we were in KL. We are already back to Jakarta since Monday.


50gm of Chuan Pei costs RM115..expensive ya. The staff divided the chuan pei into 7 packets (for Gwen).


North and south almonds ("lam hang pak hang" in Cantonese). RM4.50 per packs.


Put everything in the jar.


Double boiled for almost 3 hours.


It's ready to be consumed.



Gwen didn't like the drink. She said it was bitter. Actually it wasn't bitter...just different..haha. I didn't want to put too much rock sugar.


I had to force her to finish the drink. And bribed her with candy. -__-

24 comments:

Yee Ling October 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

Yes, the chuan pei is not cheap. Once I did try this recipe and my girl has the same expression like Gwen..hehhehe

yvonne October 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM  

Understandable, we will do anything to get rid of the coughing. Gwen's expression shows that the drink is very very bitter, lol!

アンゼエリン October 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM  

Yup, appreciate for sharing here! definitely useful. Do you have any DIY drink for flu. My son seems like everything morning sneezing now...

Cynthia October 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM  

oh.. hope Gwen get well soon.. I normally add 1 piece of kat peng also (dried tangerine)

Oliveoylz October 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM  

Oh, her expression says it all. haha...but hor...I learnt it the hard way since small, everything that taste horrible or bitter, is good for you...hehe. With mummy's TLC boiling special drinks, am sure Gwen will be rid of her troublesome phlegm in no time.

Hayley October 6, 2011 at 4:34 PM  

Hope this helps Gwen in fighting her cough! Hmm, good medicines always bitter one :P

Sheoh Yan October 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

This recipe is good. My MIL also boiled this for April when she coughed last week. It is very good for the lung, and better than those Western medicine.

MeRy October 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

Thks for sharing the recipe....

ChloeRuoyi October 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM  

LOL at Gwen's expression :D Maybe you can try giving her a straw? That way, the drink can go right down without too much contact with her tongue and mouth, making it more palatable for her. The drink looks delicious to me though... like dessert :)

wenn October 6, 2011 at 11:00 PM  

u r right, lam han , pak han n chuen pui r good for cough. Here we sell only RM1 for 38g of the almond. Eu Yan Sang stuff is very expensive.

Shenny's mommy October 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM  

Haha..her last expression was funny. True, the ingredients are really good for cough, tried that before.

Cathj October 7, 2011 at 1:10 AM  

wow good recipe.. may be good for adults too?

lvynana October 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM  

great..might try to boil for Eugene also, but just to lazy at the moment :(

Ann October 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

I have heard of all this as well. I take the easy way out and yet the Chuan Bei cough mixture which has lor hon kor as well. It's quite good. Got it from 1U the herb shop.

My daughter also had phlegmy cough last week. One thing though...I kept her off all citrus fruits (only can eat pear and apple) and it helps with recovery. If Gwen is eating any of those in the first place....

mNhL October 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM  

Thks for sharing the recipe. I hope Gwen can recover faster and be all healthy again. Once a blue moon, try to double boiled some nourishing soup to nourish her lung is also good. My MIL used to boil the 'pat pau sum' (white ginseng) for my kids. If I did not get the name wrong :)

Alice Law October 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

Thanks for sharing, hope Gwen has completely got rid of her phlegm!

MommyAngel October 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

Hello dear :) Dropping by to say hi to you and Gwen :)

Hahahaha ...... so funny of Gwen making that face after drinking the pear water. But your girl is ok what .... can be bribed wtih candy as long as she drinks them all. She would say bitter? My girl would tell me it's "spicy" if she doesn't likes the drink, hahahaha .... kids are so cute! So does the soup helps?

Vickylow October 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

wahaha Gwen look so funny on that face expression. Hope she will fully recover soon.

Rose October 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM  

Kids cant get rid of the phlegm from the throat. Does the drink works? My boy (2 yo) is down with cough and have phlegm. WOnder he wants to drink this drink or not??? Hmm....

Daddy October 11, 2011 at 12:06 AM  

emmmm...i'll probably do that for my wife who is having a bad cough for so many weeks now .....

Mummy Moon October 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM  

Ya chuen pei is exp, they have diffrent grades I think you bought the one is good grade lah.. We did boil this for my son when he had prolong coughing. I don't find it can get rid the cough but it is good for the lungs I bet.

Merryn October 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM  

LoL! Look at her FACE!!! That picture speaks a thousand words! haha..

slavemom October 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM  

hahaha Her expression said that it's a vy yucky drink. :D But it's vy good for the lungs.

fiona November 5, 2011 at 10:11 AM  

how come my little princess face so ugly we=hen you force her to drink? so cute...

Recent Posts